With some NFL teams releasing their new Uniforms for the 2020 season with mixed reviews. I decided to look at some of the kits that the teams across the UK show out to establish my top and bottom 5. When it comes to team kit, I’m a bit of a stickler. I like everything to match and colour coordination is key. Even my cleats and Gloves had to follow the team colours, purely because in my opinion, it is a uniform and therefore should look like it.
First off, lets set the ground rules:
- Coordination – from socks to helmet, there needs to be a clear link between the colour schemes, no one wants to see a Green lid with an orange Jersey and Blue lowers, ideally there should be 3 colours.
- Originality – obviously it’s difficult to keep creating new looks with certain colours being favourable, but that doesn’t mean the look can’t be unique.
- Some creative flare – I get it lots of people like the Raiders Black and Silver Combination, its traditional and a clean look. The problem is it’s boring.
- No All Black or All White, they all look good and doesn’t take much.
With the ground Rules set, time to look at what British American Football has to offer us.
So, let’s get this started with Britball’s Worst Uniforms.
5. Rushmoor Knights
There is a lot not to like about this, from the Dark strip down the side of the Jersey, the Plain white game pants and the overall grim colour coordination. Worthy of a place in the bottom 5.
4. Hertfordshire Cheetahs
The Cheetahs making an appearance on the wrong list. Two points about this Uniform gets me, the first, camo has no place on a football field (except for military appreciation day). Secondly, grey features nowhere else through their colours. Also, white socks?
3. Humber Warhawks
Where to start with this one, the combination of Red and Green alone is bottom-5 worthy. How does the saying go? ‘Red and green must not be seen, except for on an Irish Queen.’ However, adding in the plain black lowers just makes it worse, at least commit to all red and green.
2. Heartlands Shock, Northern Blizzard and Southern Flames
While I am aware that the uniforms for the Diamond Series have been updated, I would be remiss if I failed to mention the trio of atrocities that were produced for the series. While the football on the field was good, the uniforms were the complete opposite. Whose idea was this? The one bit of credit they get is the Northern Blizzard is matching all the way through with a bit extra.
1. Portsmouth Dreadnoughts
I’m not too sure what more needs to be said about this Uniform, it truly is horrific. The home kit of the Dreadnaughts is a smart look with the jersey and helmet matching, but, quite frankly, adding a grey jersey to the mix is nothing short of an abomination. Black, grey, yellow and blue…
Do you agree with us? Let us know!